Every minute counts, every milliliter counts.

Shock is a life-threatening condition that results from inadequate delivery of blood and oxygen to the body’s tissues. Symptoms can include high respiratory rate, rapid pulse, cold, change in mental status, fatigue, and low blood pressure. Shock most often results from an infection, but can also be caused by severe injury, blood loss, drug reaction, or allergic reaction. It requires immediate diagnosis and treatment, as symptoms can worsen rapidly and permanent injury or death can result.

There are multiple forms of shock, including hypovolemic, distributive and obstructive. Hypovolemic shock can result from dehydration or hemorrhage, whereas distributive shock is related to sepsis, anaphylaxis or spinal cord injury and obstructive shock results from pneumothorax, pulmonary embolism or cardiac tamponade. Shock-related treatment protocols call for early and rapid administration of fluids. In practice, early fluid resuscitation is performed too slowly, resulting in continued or worsening shock and can lead to ischemia, cell death, and organ failure.

Cardiogenic shock results from an infection and/or weakening of the heart muscle or from myocardial infarction. Early recognition and treatment, including fluid resuscitation, is critical in cardiogenic shock too, but too much fluid can be harmful. Therefore, the treatment recommendations typically call for smaller, measured fluid boluses, with careful assessment of patient response after each one.

LifeFlow offers front line providers the unique ability to provide rapid, controlled fluid boluses, then quickly assess patient response to determine whether additional fluid or other therapies are needed.